Skip To The Main Content

Ford rejoins car scrappage scheme

by  | 

Car giant Ford has said it will be taking part in the new car-scrappage scheme after it was forced to delay its involvement due to 11th-hour wranglings.

Britain's biggest car seller was one of the companies unable to join the initiative from its initial launch date on Monday because of last-minute hitches involving tax and dealer-manufacturer arrangements.

But Ford has now said it will commence with vehicle deliveries as part of the scheme from Wednesday, adding that it had already taken 3,000 extra orders due to the initiative.

Motorists out of pocket as a result of the downturn have welcomed the move, seeing it as a chance to trade in their older, more polluting models and replace them with efficient makes, thereby saving cash on petrol consumption and possible reductions in car insurance.

During the last Budget, Chancellor Alistair Darling announced that owners of cars and small vans more than 10 years old would get £2,000 off the price of a new vehicle when scrapping their old motor as part of the scheme.

But some big-name car makers, including Ford and Honda, were forced to delay their involvement in the scheme due to last minute issues.

Under the scrappage scheme, Ford is now offering a Fiesta for £7,995 and a Focus for £9,995.

Ford Britain managing director Nigel Sharp said: "Ford is putting its full weight behind the UK vehicle scrappage scheme, which will not only boost sales but will also bring positive employment and environmental benefits too."

© Press Association 2009