Skip To The Main Content
Autonet Logo
autonet news

Homeowner Warning

by  | 

It has been revealed homeowners are being urged to install carbon monoxide alarms in their homes to prevent any fatal accidents.

Currently only one out of three houses has the alarm installed to detect traces of carbon monoxide.

The idea of the research is to get carbon monoxide alarms fitted in British homes, the same as smoke alarms. 

The deadly gas has no smell, taste or colour, the only way it can be detected is by the alarm.

The gas is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, charcoal, coal and wood do not burn fully.

Appliances such as boilers and cookers that have been incorrectly fitted are the main ways the gas can escape; another cause can be blocked chimneys or vents.

Christine McGourty of Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! Said: "We are urging people to go out and buy an alarm now - but there are also two simple steps we'd like the Government to take.

"Firstly, building regulations should be amended so that new homes come with alarms already installed. Secondly, providing an alarm should be part of a landlord's annual gas safety inspection."

Be cautious

Symptoms can include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and loss of consciousness; these can sometimes be mistaken for flu, tiredness or food poisoning.

As winter draws nearer homeowners will be using boilers or similar appliances much more due to the cold weather and this is when homeowners need to be extra vigilant.

It is important home appliances are checked regularly by home owners to prevent any occurrence of carbon monoxide poisoning happening which can potentially cause long term health problems or even death.  

Carbon Cases

Earlier this year there was a high profile case of Carbon Monoxide poisoning when singer Charlotte Church discovered herself and her two children were nearly poisoned by the gas because of a leak in her boiler.

There have been a number of other cases of Carbon Monoxide poisoning within the UK, with the help of the alarms this figure is hopefully going to drop significantly.

Research found that 78% of people don’t have an alarm installed despite the gas being the cause of 50 deaths last year and 4,000 needing hospital care.

A carbon monoxide detector can be purchased on the internet or in shops for as little as £15 to £30; it may be the best money you ever spend.

© Copyright Autonet Insurance

By Amanda Bainbridge