Skip To The Main Content

What level of cover do I need for my van insurance?

by  | 

It can be quite a daunting task when you are sorting out insurance for your van. There are many factors to consider and one of the most important is selecting the correct level of cover to suit your specific needs. There are three levels of cover for you to choose from in the UK.

Third party only

This is the lowest level of cover and is usually the cheapest. If you drive your van in the UK it is a legal requirement to have at least third party only cover for your van. This policy will cover you against damages or injuries to another person, their vehicle or property. For example, if you skidded on an icy road and crashed into someone’s wall your insurance company would pay out for any damages to the third party property.

This insurance is restrictive however and will only pay out for third party property damage or injuries, and not injuries to yourself or damage to your own vehicle.

Third party fire and theft

This is the next level of insurance cover up from third party only cover and will protect you if your van is stolen or damaged in a fire. Like third party only cover, this will protect you if you are involved in an accident that is your fault. Compensation will be paid out to the third party for injury or property damage, but you would still have to pay for any damage to your own vehicle out of your own pocket.

Comprehensive cover

This is the highest level of cover available to drivers in the UK and is generally the most expensive. It will provide you all the cover that both third party only and third party fire and theft offers but will also cover any damages to your van in the event of a fault accident. However this level of cover will not cover you if your van breaks down.  Breakdown cover for vans is a separate policy that you would need to purchase. There are many companies that offer this service, one of the most popular being RAC van breakdown cover.

© Copyright Autonet Insurance

By Mark Bakharia