Skip To The Main Content

The Brexit deadline is quickly approaching and there is still some uncertainty surrounding the deal that we will leave with.

Should we leave the EU without a deal and you are planning to drive/ride your own vehicle in Europe within in the next 28 days you may need to obtain a Green Card from your insurer.

A Green Card proves that you have the relevant insurance in place for your trip and are available from your insurer.

If you are planning a trip around the Brexit deadline and think you may need a green card, click here or call us on 0330 343 8487 and we can help you arrange this from your insurer.

Please see below for frequently asked questions about Green Cards.


Below are a few frequently asked questions about Green Cards and how you can obtain a copy if you are planning to travel.

What is a green card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance issued by insurance providers in the UK, guaranteeing that you have the necessary insurance cover whilst driving/riding abroad.

Do I need a Green Card?

  • If you are travelling to the EU within the next 28 days please contact our customer service department.
  • In the event there is no deal, a Green Card will be required for all vehicles that travel in the EU
  • If you are planning to be driving/riding your vehicle in the EU within the next 28 days, please contact us as soon as possible as it could take up to four weeks for you to receive a Green Card from your insurer
  • Please note that you will need a Green Card when driving from Northern Ireland to Ireland.

I’m planning to travel to Europe with my vehicle before a deal or no deal has been announced, how do I get a copy of my Green Card?

To make sure you are covered in case of a no-deal Brexit, to get a copy of your Green Card, click here or call us on 0330 343 8487 and we can help you arrange this from your insurer. You will need to provide the below information, so we can complete your request:

  • Dates of travel
  • Countries visiting or passing through
  • Name of the person who will be driving/riding the vehicle
  • If you plan on towing a caravan/trailer – you will need a separate Green Card for this

Will I need to pay for the green card?

No, there is no charge for a Green Card providing you do not intend to exceed the policy limits for driving abroad.

How long before I travel should I request a copy?

As soon as possible and ideally up to four weeks before you travel to allow time for this to be sent out to you.

What do I do once I’ve received my Green Card? 

Keep it somewhere safe and take it with you on your trip. You will need to carry the physical document when you travel.

I’m travelling to a country in the EU but will be hiring vehicle, do I need a copy of the green card?

No, if you plan on hiring a vehicle when you reach your destination, you will not need a Green Card.

Where can I get more information?

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has issued a helpful document, click here for more information.