Skip To The Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Information for customers regarding COVID-19

    My employees are working from home due to recent government guidance, will they be covered by my insurance policy?

    - You'll need to refer to your specific policy to see if this is covered but if you currently purchase employer’s liability cover for your business, then it should extend to cover them while they are working from home during this period, if in doubt please call your insurer. 

    Please note you're still responsible for your employees Health and Safety whilst they are working from home e.g. ensuring they have appropriate equipment to perform their job safely e.g. workstation meets H&S guidelines.  Most employees home insurance will allow them to perform clerical work from home but typically will not cover business visitors or business stock, so please check with your member of staff.

    Am I covered for my contents that my employees take home in order to work there?

    - You'll need to refer to your specific policy to see if this is covered as it will often be optional to cover the likes of laptops, tablets or mobile phones that belong to the business but your employee takes home, if in doubt please call your insurer.

    If you're not covered on your insurance it doesn't mean you're not legally responsible for them as it's unlikely your employees home insurance would cover business equipment that doesn't belong to the employee.

    What happens if my premises are left unoccupied?

    - You would normally need to notify us if your property was going to be left unoccupied for beyond the allowable period stated in your policy.  Given the exceptional circumstances at the moment, many insurers are reviewing their policy conditions with a view to increasing flexibility.  In the meantime we recommend to shut off the water supply and gas to the premises if safe to do so and not business critical, and ensure that any measures to prevent thefts are taken, such as locking away or removing equipment, setting intruder alarms and if safe to do so periodically check the premises are secure e.g. once a week.  If in doubt please contact your insurer via the telephone number in your policy documents.

    How do I find out what type of cover I have?

    - Your policy documents will tell you the type of cover you have.

    My circumstances have changed due to COVID-19, should I cancel my policy?

    - Business insurance helps to protect business owners and independent professionals against everyday risks, such as accidents in the workplace and associated public liability, stock or premises damage, legal costs and cyber-attacks. There are also some types of insurance that a business is legally obliged to have, such as employer’s liability and commercial motor insurance.

    Even in a time when a business is unable to operate as usual due to the impacts of COVID-19, it’s important that businesses remain covered for standard risks, many of which may be more likely when the property is unoccupied, such as vandalism of the property, theft of stock or equipment, or even loss of information or damage to IT systems and networks.

    Every day insurers pay out £22 million to help firms cope with these unwelcome events. If a business without adequate insurance cover experienced significant damage whilst temporarily closed, their ability to get back up and running once permitted to do so could be delayed.

    However, should you need to speak to us about your circumstances please call us but please be aware we may have extended waiting times.

    What if I have public liability or employers’ liability insurance?

    - Public liability insurance protects you if you injure someone or damage their property in the course of running your business.

    It may cover claims relating to Covid-19, depending on the individual case. Crucially, the main area for consideration will be if you or your business has been proven to be negligent, which has resulted in a third party being impacted by Covid-19.

    Being negligent means that – as a result of your actions – you've caused damage or injury to others that could have reasonably been foreseen and avoided, as opposed to someone else being careless.

    Employers’ liability insurance protects you if an employee or ex-employee sues for illness or injury caused by their work. It’s a legal requirement if you have employees and can pay compensation costs and legal fees.

    It may cover claims relating to Covid-19, depending on the individual case. As with public liability, the main area for consideration will be if you or your business has been proven to be negligent, which has resulted in your employee being impacted by Covid-19.

    In the case of employers' liability, being negligent means that as a result of actions by you (that could have reasonably been foreseen or avoided) your employee has been injured or fallen ill, as opposed to someone else being careless.

  2. What is No Claims Bonus (NCB) and how do I send proof of this?

    This is a discount awarded for the completion of 12 months continuous claim free insurance. NCB is not acceptable if it expired more than 2 years prior to the inception of your new policy. If there is a gap between periods of insurance you may be requested to send in proof of the circumstances surrounding this -  a gap is not always acceptable with all of our insurers. One set of NCB cannot be used on two different policies at the same time. NCB is reduced after a fault claim (please refer to your policy wording for full details of NCB reduction).

    Depending on how many years NCB you have, you can look to protect your NCB at inception of the policy. Protecting your NCB allows you to have a certain amount of claims "at fault" without affecting the bonus. Your policy premium may still be affected at renewal.

    To make things easy for you we've put together this handy fact sheet so you can provide us with the details we need.

    You can view and download the fact sheet by clicking here
  3. How do I get proof of my No Claims Bonus?

    You can request this after a cancellation or the expiry of an existing policy.
  4. Can my No Claims Bonus be used from my personal policy to a commercial policy or vice versa?

    This will be upon a referral basis.

    Depending on the commercial policy type your No Claims Bonus may be converted into claims experience or Motor Trade bonus which may be unacceptable on personal policies.
  5. Sending us a copy of your licence

    To make things easy for you we've put together this handy fact sheet so you can provide us with the details we need.

    Please be aware that any driving record would need to be sent as a PDF attachment. The document can be saved as a PDF directly from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) website.

    You can view and download the fact sheet by clicking here.
  6. How to make changes or update your licence

    To make things easy for you we've put together this handy fact sheet so you can provide the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) with the details they need.

    You can view and download the fact sheet by clicking here.
  7. Acceptable forms of identification

    To make things easy for you we've put together this handy fact sheet so you can provide us with the details we need.

    You can view and download the fact sheet by clicking here.
  8. Other document requests

    During your policy term your insurers may request particular information in relation to your policy. Any documentation can be sent in via post or emailed to 
    • Proof of trade - If you have taken out a Motor Trade policy our insurers may request proof that you have been trading in the last 6 months. A comprehensive list of acceptable proof of trade documents can be found within your policy statement of fact.
    • Proof of parking - If we are unable to locate the area where you will be parking your vehicles your insurer may request photographs to prove you have enough space to park any vehicles you have added to your policy.
    • High performance vehicles - If a vehicle is added to a policy which is classed as a high performance vehicle, the insurers may request a specific set of photographs to allow them to correctly asses it. You must provide a photograph of each of the sides, front and back of the vehicle as well as a photograph of the engine bay which includes the registration number.
    • Employee reference number - If you have employees on your Public Liability policy we may request your employer reference number. This can be found on many documents including P45, P60, P11/D and many payslips.
    •  Employers Liability -  If you have employees you are legally required to have Employers Liability insurance in force. This can be added to our public liability policies at the start or as an adjustment mid-term. Employees can fall into one of two categories. Bona Fide sub-contractors generally provide their own insurance and tools and work without direction from the policy holder. They do not need to be added to the policy. Labour only sub-contractors​ work under the direction of the policy holder and use equipment provided to carry out their occupation. You would need to make us aware of these employees.
  9. How do I update the motor insurance database?

    You can view or download the relevant fact sheet on how to update the database by clicking on your insurer here:

    If your insurer isn't listed above you can request an update over the phone by calling 03303 438 486 or online using the following link:


  10. How do I add vehicles to my fleet policy?

    To add a vehicle to your fleet policy you would need to call our offices to speak to an agent on 03303 438 486 or email the information to

    You would need to have the following information in order for us to be able to run a successful quote:
    • Exact make/model and registration of the vehicle
    • Engine CC
    • Year of first registration/year of make
    • Current value
    • Body type (van, pickup, tipper)
    • Number of seats
    • Has the vehicle been modified in any way?
    • Where will the vehicle be kept overnight
    • Details of any security features (factory fitted alarm/immobiliser)
    • Who is the registered keeper/owner of the vehicle
    • What will the vehicle be used for
  11. What documents will I receive and how will I receive these?

    You will receive your new business/renewals pack via the post, which will include a cover note if we are outstanding documentation or a certificate if we are not requesting anything, along with a schedule and policy wordings. Please note if you have purchased Public Liability insurance, you will receive a policy schedule and will only receive a certificate if you have added Employers Liability.
  12. Fault and non-fault claims - what is the difference?

    A fault claim is any claim resulting in your own insurer being liable (paying for the claim) e.g. you are not to blame for a theft claim but your own insurer would be liable, as they have no other party to recover the costs from. If your insurer pays for your damages in a claim e.g. where a third party hit you, but then re-coups their costs via the third party's insurer, this would be a non-fault claim as your insurer was not liable (recovered their costs for the claim).
  13. If I have an accident and I do not wish to make a claim, do I still have to notify my insurer?

    Yes, it is always advisable to tell your insurer if any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your file is always fully updated, even if no claim is to be made. All incidents should be reported to 0800 9 537 537 as soon as possible.
  14. What is an insurance excess?

    This if the first part of each and every claim which you (not your insurer) must pay. Please refer to your policy schedule for your policy excesses.

    Compulsory excess - This is an excess that has been applied as a requirement by your insurer and will vary according to your personal circumstances and the terms of cover provided. A compulsory excess may be required if you drive a particular vehicle or you have inexperienced drivers on your policy. There is also a compulsory excess for fire, theft / malicious damage or windscreen claims (if applicable). 

    Voluntary excess - ​This will apply where you agree with your insurer to pay a greater part of each claim, in addition to your compulsory excess. A voluntary excess can be increased or decreased at your request during your quotation and it may affect your premium.
  15. What is classed as foreign use?

    Any driving of a vehicle outside of the UK is deemed to be foreign use. All commercial insurance policies that we offer provide the minimum cover you require to drive in any of the EU countries. You can refer to your policy booklet for information regarding levels of cover however anytime you go abroad in your vehicle you will need to let us know beforehand. Further assistance on extra cover can be obtained via your policy wording or by contacting us on 03303 438 486.
  16. I don't have breakdown cover, can I add it now?

    Yes, so long as you have a current policy with us. However you cannot take out cover for existing breakdowns as the cover must be in force for 24 hours before AXA will assist you.

  17. How do I decide on the best cover for me?

    Third Party only is the minimum requirement by law. This level of cover will pay out for any damage caused to a third party that you are responsible for, but not for repairs to your own vehicle, medical expenses nor will you be insured if your vehicle is stolen.

    Third Party Fire and Theft offers the same cover as third party only but also covers the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle if it is set on fire, stolen or damaged through attempted theft.

    Comprehensive is the next level up from third party, fire and theft.  As well as including both the above, this cover also includes repairs to your vehicle if involved in an accident. 

  18. What disabilities or medical conditions do I need to declare?

    Certain disabilities or medical conditions will need to be notified to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), as they may affect your or any named drivers' ability to drive.

  19. What are imported vehicles?

    Vehicles which are brought in to the UK from abroad. If your vehicle is imported and matches UK specifications, then some of our companies will insure these.

    Non UK specification – these are vehicles which are brought into the UK from abroad and do not match current UK specifications. These vehicles are more difficult to insure, mainly due to the restricted availability of parts.

  20. What are modifications?

    This is when the vehicle's engine, suspension or body has been altered in any way that is different from the original manufacturer's specification. Vehicles fitted with special equipment or apparatus will also fall into this category. The most common modifications are performance enhancements, such as exhausts, bodywork or personalised paintwork. Please note that the above lists are not exhaustive.

  21. Are my tools covered?

    No, unfortunately vehicle insurance policies do not cover tools however Autonet do provide optional tools cover at varying levels. Just call us on 08444 725 888 (calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge) if you are interested in having this extra protection.

    Some tools cover is provided with some of our Public Liability policies so please ensure you check your policy wording to confirm if you are already covered for this before taking out a separate policy. 

  22. If I make a mid-term adjustment, will it affect my premium? If so what changes might affect this?

    When making a mid-term adjustment there would be a fee of up to £37.50 from Autonet. Your underwriter will recalculate your premium and you will be charged accordingly. All changes may affect your premium.

  23. Where do I locate my policy/reference number?

    This is located in the top right hand corner of any documentation that is issued to you from Autonet.

  24. If I want to cancel my policy, what do I do?

    We can only cancel a policy with the policy holder/company director. All of our commercial vehicle policies require a written request to cancel which you can email to

    Your request must contain the following information: 

    • Full name
    • Policy Number
    • Reason for cancellation
    • Date and time you wish the policy to be cancelled

    Many of our other commercial policies such as Goods in Transit and Public Liability can be cancelled verbally by calling 03303 438 486 however this is subject to specific insurers terms. 

  25. Wishing to make a complaint

    Our aim at Autonet is to provide and maintain a high standard of customer service and we are confident that our highly trained agents are able to help with any request at the first point of contact. If however you would like to make a complaint you can do this online using the following link: