Skip To The Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Information for customers regarding COVID-19

    If I'm not driving as much due to COVID-19 should I reduce the mileage on my policy?
    No, unless the situation changes and you need to self-isolate for more than 8-12 weeks, you shouldn't need to change your mileage.

    Should I declare my vehicle SORN if I am unable to drive for a period of time?
    As per information on you should only make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) when you take a vehicle ‘off the road’ and you want to stop taxing it. Your vehicle is off the road if you don’t keep or use it on a public road, for example if it’s in a garage, on a drive or on private land. You can check for further information.

    Your insurance is still valid if your vehicle is declared SORN although you cannot legally drive it until it is taxed again. If you're considering cancelling your insurance whilst your vehicle is SORN you would not be covered for fire, theft or damage to your vehicle so you need to consider the risk before taking this step.

    Am I covered if I'm abroad and can't get home, taking me over the limit my policy allows?
    We are in unprecedented times, and therefore if you have been unable to return home due to COVID-19 e.g. travel restrictions and cancellations, self-isolation, enforced quarantine, we will extend your foreign use. Should you need to make a claim the insurer may require evidence that you were unable to get home.

    My doctor self-isolated me, am I covered to drive?
    Yes, unless you have received medical advice which states your ability to drive may be affected.

    If I have Coronavirus can someone else drive my vehicle to get me to hospital?- Yes, if they're a named driver on your policy or they're covered for driving other vehicles by their own insurance policy. They'll need to check their insurance certificate to see if they have this and they may only be covered on a third party basis. 

    If you'd like to add someone as a named driver call us, please be aware we may have extended waiting times.

    If I have breakdown cover on my policy, will I still be recovered if I break down?- Yes, vehicle repaired by the roadside or recovered as normal.  The mechanic will follow social distancing guidelines to protect both themselves and you.

    Will I still get a courtesy car?
    You will benefit from having the courtesy car for the duration of the repair, if this is included in your policy cover. 

    However, if your car is uneconomical to repair your claim will be settled as a total loss and your insurer will be in touch with a valuation as soon as they're able to do so. In this instance you'll need to return the courtesy car as stated in your policy terms.

    Will I have to give the courtesy car back if my repair takes longer than planned?- You will benefit from having the courtesy car for the duration of the repair, if this is included in your policy cover. 

    However, if your car is uneconomical to repair your claim will be settled as a total loss and your insurer will be in touch with a valuation as soon as they're able to do so. In this instance you'll need to return the courtesy car as stated in your policy terms.

    Will my claim take longer to be settled and will it take longer to get a pay out?
    We don't expect so, but things are changing daily, so if anything needs to change you'll be contacted by your insurer.

    I'm in isolation and I can't pick up/drop off my car for repair?
    Pick up/drop off will be arranged after your isolation period has ended or if you prefer to make alternative arrangements discuss this with your insurer and they will try to accommodate your needs.

    Will my medical treatment resulting from my claim still be happening?
    Our suppliers will continue to treat patients if the circumstance falls within government guidelines and is clinically safe and appropriate to do so. However, if you are self-isolating this can be put on hold. 

    I have been furloughed by my employer, do I need to contact you to update my employment status?
    – If you have been furloughed by your employer as a result of COVID-19 you do not need to contact us to update your employment status.

    I am an existing customer and I have been made redundant by my employer due to COVID-19, do I need to contact you to update my employment status?
    – If you become temporarily unemployed as a result of COVID-19 you do not need to contact us to update your employment status.  If you continue to be unemployed once UK Government restrictions on movement / working have been lifted you will need to update us.

  2. Sending proof of your no claims bonus

    To make things easy for you we've put together this handy fact sheet so you can provide us with the details we require.

    You can view and download the fact sheet by clicking here

  3. Sending us a copy of your licence

    To make things easy for you we've put together this handy fact sheet so you can provide us with the details we require.

    You can view and download the fact sheet by clicking here

  4. How to make changes or update your licence

    To make things easy for you we've put together this handy fact sheet so you can provide the DVLA with the details they require.

    You can view and download the fact sheet by clicking here
  5. Acceptable forms of identification

    To make things easy for you we've put together this handy fact sheet so you can provide us with the details we require.

    You can view and download the fact sheet by clicking here
  6. What is no claims bonus (NCB)?

    This is a discount awarded for the completion of 12 months continuous claim free insurance. NCB can only be earned and used in your own name and on 1 vehicle at a time. NCB is not acceptable if it expired more than 2 years prior to the inception of your new policy. NCB is reduced after a fault claim (please refer to your policy wording for full details of NCB reduction).

    Click here to access our live chat service
  7. What is protected no claims bonus (NCB)?

    Depending on how many years NCB you have, you can look to protect your NCB at inception of the policy.
    Protecting your NCB allows you to have a certain amount of claims "at fault" without affecting the bonus. So if you have an accident, the NCB remains intact even if your insurer can't claim their costs back. Your policy premium may still be affected at renewal.
  8. Requests for NCB to be sent out

    You can request this after a cancellation or the expiry of a policy. Alternatively your new insurance company can call us to confirm this verbally.

    Click here to access our live chat service
  9. Can my NCB be used from my car policy to a van policy or vice versa?

    This will be upon a referral basis. Not all underwriters allow this, however here at Autonet we do have some insurers on our panel that will allow you to do this.
  10. Can my spouse use my NCB?

    Only certain underwriters allow this, if this is something you want to look into doing then it will need to be on a referral basis. A signed letter giving permission from your spouse will also be required.
  11. Am I entitled to drive other cars?

    You would need to refer to your certificate of motor insurance which will inform you if you are insured to drive another vehicle.
  12. Can I drive other vans if I have the driving other vehicle's extension on my policy?

    No, there is no driving other vehicle extension for vans.
  13. Where can I send my licence, No Claims Bonus proof or any other requested information to?

    - To send proof of your identification and/or address please email these to: or
    - To send proof of your no claims bonus please email
    - To send a copy of your driving licence please email
    - Alternatively contact us via our web chat facility and you can upload your documents to us there and then.
  14. Acceptable forms of identification and address?

    We must receive one document from each of the sections below:

    Proof of Identity
    Current valid driving licence
    Current valid passport
    Valid UK (Old Style) paper driving licence
    National identity card for Non-EEA foreign nationals
    EEA member of state identity card
    Birth Certificate
    Fire Arms/Shotgun Licence

    Proof of Address
    Utility/Services Bill (e.g. gas/electric/water/sky/phone)
    Letter from benefits agency confirming right to state benefit/pension
    Statement or letter from bank/building society/credit card/mortgage
    Solicitor's letter re house/land purchase
    Housing association/public letting agency/council tenancy letter or agreement
    TV licence
    Life insurance policy
    HRMC document such as tax notification/tax assessment/statement of account/notice of coding/HMRC NI contributions bill
    Medical card/NHS/doctors letter
    Mobile phone bill
    Credit/HP/loan agreement
    Letter from barracks
  15. Where can I find my documents?

    Your documents will be issued by your chosen method of delivery. This will either be via post or email. If you documents have been sent via email then they would have been sent from Once you have located the email from Autonet there is a further link included which allows you to log on to our on-line portal. From this you will be able to access your documents at any point in the year.
  16. Fault and non-fault claims - what is the difference?

    A fault claim is any claim resulting in your own insurer being liable (paying for the claim) e.g. you are not to blame for a theft claim but your own insurer would be liable, as they have no other party to recover the costs from. If your insurer pays for your damages in a claim e.g. where a third party hit you, but then re-coups their costs via the third party's insurer, this would be a non-fault claim as your insurer was not liable (recovered their costs for the claim).
  17. If I have an accident and I do not wish to make a claim, do I still have to notify my insurer?

    Yes, it is always advisable to tell your insurer of any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your file is always fully updated, even if no claim is to be made. All incidents should be reported to 0800 9 537 537 as soon as possible.
  18. What is an insurance excess?

    This is the first part of each and every claim which you (not your insurer) must pay. Please refer to your policy schedule for your policy excesses.

    Compulsory excess - This is an excess that has been applied as a requirement by your insurer and will vary according to your personal circumstances and the terms of cover provided. A compulsory excess may be required if you drive a particular vehicle or your have inexperienced drivers on your policy. There is also a compulsory excess for fire, theft / malicious damage or windscreen claims.

    Voluntary excess - This will apply where you agree with your insurer to pay a greater part of each claim, in addition to your compulsory excess. A voluntary excess can be increased or decreased at your request during your quotation and it may affect your premium.
  19. What is classed as foreign use?

    Any driving of a vehicle outside of the UK is deemed to be foreign use. All commercial and private car insurance policies that we offer provide the minimum cover you require to drive in any of the EU countries. Further assistance on extra cover can be obtained via your policy wording or by contacting us on 03303 438 628.
  20. What level of cover do I have abroad?

    You can refer to your policy booklet for this information, any time you go abroad in your vehicle you will need to let us know beforehand.
  21. I don't have breakdown cover, can I add it now?

    Yes, so long as you have a current policy with us. If taken out part way through a policy, the breakdown cover will only run until the expiry of the current policy and will not become active until 24 hours after it has been added.
  22. If I've broken down could I purchase Breakdown cover and would this be valid straight away?

    No, the cover has to be in place for 24 hours before AXA will assist you.
  23. How do I decide on the best cover for me?

    Third Party Only is the minimum requirement by law. This level of cover will pay out for any damage caused to a third party that you are responsible for, but not for repairs to your own vehicle, medical expenses nor will you be insured if your vehicle is stolen.

    Third Party Fire and Theft offers the same cover as third party only but also covers the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle if it is set on fire, stolen or damaged through attempted theft.

    Comprehensive is the next level up from third party, fire and theft. As well as including both the above, this cover also includes repairs to your vehicle if involved in an accident.
  24. What disabilities or medical conditions do I need to declare?

    Certain disabilities or medical conditions will need to notified to the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency), as they may affect you or any named drivers' ability to drive.
  25. Who is the main driver of the vehicle?

    This is the person who uses the vehicle the most. As with all information, you should be honest here. If you are planning to insure a vehicle for your son or daughter, when you know that they will be the main user, you should state this, failing to do so could lead to your insurer invalidating any claims.
  26. When was my vehicle first registered?

    You can find this information on your vehicle's V5 document. Below is a list displaying example registration marks:
    A 1 Feb 1963 M 1 Aug 1973
    B 1 Jan 1964 N 1 Aug 1974
    C 1 Jan 1965 P 1 Aug 1975
    D 1 Jan 1966 R 1 Aug 1976
    E 1 Jan 1967 S 1 Aug 1977
    F 1 Aug 1967 T 1 Aug 1978
    G 1 Aug 1968 V 1 Aug 1979
    H 1 Aug 1969 W 1 Aug 1980
    J 1 Aug 1970 X 1 Aug 1981
    K 1 Aug 1971 Y 1 Aug 1982
    L 1 Aug 1972
    A 1 Aug 1983 M 1 Aug 1994
    B 1 Aug 1984 N 1 Aug 1995
    C 1 Aug 1985 P 1 Aug 1996
    D 1 Aug 1986 R 1 Aug 1997
    E 1 Aug 1987 S 1 Aug 1998
    F 1 Aug 1988 T 1 Mar 1999
    G 1 Aug 1989 V 1 Sept 1999
    H 1 Aug 1990 W 1 Mar 2000
    J 1 Aug 1991 X 1 Sept 2000
    K 1 Aug 1992 Y 1 Mar 2001
    L 1 Aug 1993
    02 1 Mar 2002  52 1 Sept 2002
    03 1 Mar 2003 53 1 Sept 2003
    04 1 Mar 2004 54 1 Sept 2004
    05 1 Mar 2005 55 1 Sept 2005
    06 1 Mar 2006 56 1 Sept 2006
    07 1 Mar 2007 57 1 Sept 2007
    08 1 Mar 2008 58 1 Sept 2008
    09 1 Mar 2009 59 1 Sept 2009
    10 1 Mar 2010 60 1 Sept 2010
    11 1 Mar 2011 61 1 Sept 2011
    12 1 Mar 2012 62 1 Sept 2012
    13 1 Mar 2013 63 1 Sept 2013
    14 1 Mar 2014 64 1 Sept 2014
    15 1 Mar 2015 65 1 Sept 2015
    16 1 Mar 2016 66 1 Sept 2016
  27. What are imported vehicles?

    Vehicles which are brought in to the UK from abroad. If your vehicle is imported and matches UK specifications, then some of our companies will insure these.

    Non UK specification - these are vehicles which are brought into the UK from abroad and do not match current UK specifications. These vehicles are more difficult to insure, mainly due to the restricted availability of parts.
  28. What are modifications?

    This is when the vehicle's engine, suspension or body has been altered in any way that is different from the original manufacturer's specification. Vehicles fitted with special equipment or apparatus will also fall into this category. The most common modifications are performance enhancements, such as exhausts, bodywork or personalised paintwork. Please note that the above lists are not exhaustive.
  29. What is an immobiliser?

    Definition: An electronic immobiliser is a device fitted to the vehicle that disables the engine of your vehicle when your vehicle is not in operation by you. Some newer vehicles have these factory fitted by the manufacturer and these are normally shown within your vehicle brochure. It is also possible to have these immobilisers fitted by a garage or specialist, who would supply a certificate of installation detailing the exact model of your vehicle's immobiliser. A copy of your fitment certificate may be required.

    Definition: A manual immobiliser is a device fitted which is usually placed on the steering wheel or gear level of your vehicle e.g. Krooklok.
  30. What is a tracking device?

    This is a device which enables the police to locate your vehicle if it is stolen. Some newer vehicles may have this device installed by the manufacturer; however, this is normally a facility which you are required to subscribe to on an annual basis. A copy of your fitment certificate may be required.
  31. What do you use the vehicle for (on a commercial vehicle policy)?

    If you drive your vehicle to and from work and transport business related goods such as your own tools, please select "Carriage of Own Goods". This use is ideal for professions such as plumbers, decorators, window cleaners or florists as there is no cover for loss of, or damage to any goods being carried.

    Social, domestic and pleasure only will cover your vehicle for personal usage only (excludes using your vehicle in conjunction with your occupation/trade).

    Carriage of goods for hire & reward will cover your vehicle whilst transporting goods for other parties. This use is ideal for couriers.

  32. Are my tools covered?

    No, unfortunately our van insurance policies do not cover tools, however Autonet do provide optional tools cover at varying levels, just call us on 08444 725 888 (calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone company's access charge) if you are interested in having this extra protection.
  33. What do you use the vehicle for (on a private car policy)?

    Social Domestic and Pleasure - covers you for your normal everyday driving, such as driving to the shops or visiting friends.

    Social Domestic and Pleasure plus Commuting (the most common use) - covers you for all previously stated and commuting to one permanent place of work or study.

    There are also three levels of business use which can cater for any clients needing to use their vehicle in connection with their occupation/business, they are:

    Class 1 - Is when the policy holder wishes to insure a vehicle to travel to more than one place of work.

    Class 2 - Is for the policy holder and the named driver who works for the same business and need to travel to more than one place of work.

    Class 3 - This is the class of use you need if you're using your car for commercial reasons, like delivering goods or making sales. It's the widest level of business car insurance available, so you'll also be covered for travel between sites and, usually, so will any named drivers who work for the same business.
  34. If I make a mid-term adjustment, will it affect my premium? If so what changes might affect this?

    When making a mid-term adjustment there would be a fee of up to £37.50 from Autonet. Your underwriter will recalculate your premium and you will be charged accordingly. All changes may affect your premium.
  35. Where do I locate my policy/reference number?

    This is located in the top right hand corner of any documentation that is issued to you from Autonet.
  36. Can a friend or family member cancel my policy?

    No, we can only cancel a policy with the policy holder.
  37. If I want to cancel my policy, what do I do?

    You can cancel your policy by sending in a written request, you can send your request via email to, your request must contain the following information:
    > Full name
    > Policy Number
    > Reason for cancellation
    > Date and time you wish the policy to be cancelled
    > And make sure all request are signed by the policy holder

    Alternatively you can call our customer service team on 03303 438 628 to cancel verbally.
    We also have a live chat service on our web site.

  38. Wishing to make a complaint

    Please visit our complaints webpage and complete the form found here.