What is Public Liability Insurance?
Public liability insurance protects you against claims made by third parties who, as a result of your business, have suffered an injury or damage to their property. Even though it's not a legal requirement, it can be invaluable for those working close to the public and other businesses.
In short, public liability insurance policies cover the costs incurred if a third party tries to take you or your business to court. Even if you're an expert in your trade, you could still face an unexpected compensation claim at any time. At Autonet, we pride ourselves on providing suitable service to our customers, and we're here to help protect your business. Read on to find out more about getting your company covered with public liability insurance.
Why choose Autonet for Public Liability Insurance?
At Autonet, we know that successfully running a business relies not only on a high turnover, but also keeping costs down wherever possible. When you take out any type of business insurance through us, we tailor our policies to provide cover that not only meets your needs, but at a price we think you'll be happy with too. Adding public liability insurance to your policy is simple, and our friendly team will guide you through the process when you get a quote.
From small business public liability insurance to our other business policies, we're here to help you find the right cover for your company. We've been making sure since 1998, delivering quality service to our customers when it matters most.
Public Liability Insurance FAQs
If you own or manage a business, public liability insurance will help you to keep yourself, your employees, and your company safe. It offers protection in the event that a member of the public or their property is harmed during the course of you providing your goods or services.
- Compensation claims: We'll cover the cost of claims resulting from injury to a third party or damage to their property, although geographical, excess and cover limits may apply
- Cost of repairs: We'll help to cover the cost of repairs to property damage caused by your work. Again their may be geographical, excess and cover limits that apply
- Medical fees: If the NHS makes a claim against you, we'll cover the cost of ambulance callout or hospital treatment
For any self-employed worker or independent tradesman, public liability insurance is not a legal requirement – but it could still be needed. For example, plumbers' public liability insurance might prove invaluable if a leak being repaired causes someone to slip and suffer an injury.
For an electrician or for builders, public liability insurance could cover the claims costs of injury to a homeowner or damage to their property.
- Personal injury cover: Public liability insurance only protects you against claims made by third parties, so it can't help if you're injured in an accident
- Your property: Similarly, only your ordinary business insurance will cover damage to your commercial buildings
- Your excess: Every insurance policy has an excess, which is the amount you'll need to contribute towards any claims that arise
- Your employees: If you are an employer, with certain exceptions, you'll need to obtain employers' liability cover to protect your employees
The final cost of your public liability insurance quote will vary depending on your circumstances, plus several other factors. These might include the type of business you're running, the level of cover you choose, and how you choose to pay. Compulsory excess may also vary for different types of claims.
Public liability insurance forms part of the wider cover you secure for your business. However, it's sensible to get covered if one or more of the following circumstances apply to your business:
- Your business frequently comes into contact with members of the public
- The activities carried out by your business could impact members of the public
- Your business could not afford to pay legal fees for a potential compensation pay-out if a claim is made against you
- Your industry regulator or trade body requires a minimum level of cover for your membership
- Your clients or customers demand a minimum level of cover before signing to work with you
Get a Public Liability Insurance quote from Autonet today
At Autonet, we don't make do, we make sure. That's why we always try our utmost to provide cover you can depend on whenever you need it. No matter the type of business you run, we'll try to help you find public liability insurance that's right for you. Get a quote today and start working in confidence.
Still got a question about our business insurance products? Call us on 0330 343 8482 to speak to our friendly experts.