What is motor legal expenses insurance?
If you're involved in an accident that wasn't your fault, motor legal expenses cover can help you recover the losses that your primary motor insurance policy doesn't cover. Sometimes known as driver's legal protection, a motor legal expenses policy can work alongside your comprehensive, third-party, fire and theft or third-party insurance. It can offer you peace of mind and can be a valuable support service if you do suffer from an accident.
Motor legal expenses is an additional product which can only be purchased in combination with a standard motor policy taken out through Autonet and it can help you cover the cost of the legal elements following an accident. It's quick and easy to get insured through us, and you can get started today.
What can motor legal expenses cover help with?
If you've been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault, motor legal expenses insurance can help you recover a number of costs from the party responsible:
- Compensation for personal injury
- Loss of earnings
- Cost of replacing damaged possessions e.g. phone, keys, shopping carried at the time
- Alternative travel costs for commuting while your car is out of action
Our motor legal expenses cover can also help with the following issues:
- Motor prosecution defence if you are accused of or have committed a driving offence
- Disputes regarding vehicle transactions, including sales, purchases and servicing/repairs not up to the expected standard
- Disputes linked to incorrect information stored on the Motor Insurance Database
- Disputes relating to the unauthorised use of your vehicle’s identity
- With Autonet, you'll be able to call a UK-based claims line 24 hours a day, so you can get help whenever you need it.
Motor legal expenses insurance FAQS
You can get motor legal expenses cover through us right away - call us on 03303 438 521 to get your quote today. And if you want to know more about this type of policy, take a look at some of the most commonly asked questions.
If your motor insurance policy doesn't include driver's legal protection, you might not be covered for any of the following in the event of an accident:
- Any injuries you suffer
- Any loss of earnings you suffer as a result of the accident
- Other expenses such as items that have been damaged in the accident, transport costs and telephone calls.
There are a few things that won't be covered by your motor legal expenses insurance that it's important to be aware of:
- Any issues that started before you bought the policy
- Any legal costs you incurred before your motor legal expenses claim was accepted
- Claims that have less than a 51% chance of success
To make a claim you'll need:
- Details of the third party at fault
- For the claim to have a reasonable chance of success
- Your insurer's permission to proceed with legal action
For full terms and conditions, please see your motor legal expenses policy wording.
The primary purpose of driver's legal protection is typically to help in the instance you get into an accident that wasn't your fault and you have costs to recover from the other side. However, out motor legal expenses insurance also provides assistance for a few other issues, including legal defence if you've been accused of or have committed a driving offence and disputes relating to vehicle transactions.
Vehicle transaction disputes can include issues arising from sales and purchases, and claims of unsatisfactory servicing or repair work carried out by a provider.
Get additional peace of mind with a motor legal expenses insurance policy today
Don't get caught out if the worst happens. With our motor legal expenses cover, you'll have added protection to help with your legal costs if you are involved in an accident.